• Admin

Step 4: The Judgment

At this step, you have completed the Petition, Served the Respondent and Disclosures. Now it's time to put it all together and put it into a Judgment to finalize your case.

The first thing to know is that you can submit the final judgment paperwork to the Court before the 6 months and 1 day waiting period is over. Your divorce will not be final until the 6 months and 1 day has run, but you can have your documents back and signed prior to that.

This phase is a tricky phase and if you get rejected by the Court, it can delay your case and cause a lot of headache. Here are some helpful tips for getting your documents in order. If you need assistance and are finding the process confusing, please reach out to us so we can help.

The Court does a great job of laying out exactly what is required in order to get the Judgment.

Here are some steps to help you prepare your Judgment:

1. Download the FL-182 Judgment Checklist from the Court website. Once you download the form, look for the type of case you have, it will be one of the three:

  • Default with No Agreement

  • Default with Agreement

  • Uncontested Case (Respondent filed a Response or other Appearance by Respondent)

2. Once you have the type of case you have, look at all of the documents that the Court requires in order to finalize your case. There may be some that have already been filed. If you have minore children of the marriage, there are additional forms, which are also listed on the Judgment Checklist.

There are certain documents that must be filed for each case, they are as follows:

  • FL-115 Proof of Service of Summons

  • FL-141 Petitioner's Declaration of Preliminary Disclosures

  • FL-170 Declaration for Default or Uncontested Dissolution or Legal Separation

  • FL-180 Judgment

  • FL-190 Notice of Entry of Judgment

If there are minor children you must also file an Income & Expense Declaration FL-150.

Once all of your documents are prepared, you must have the originals and 2 copies of each form, put them together in the following manner:

1. Make copies - You will submit an original and 2 copies of each form.

2. If you are preparing a Request to Enter Default, you must provide a self-address stamped envelope addressed to the Respondent.

3. You will also provide two large envelopes addressed to you and the Respondent, with enough postage to return the signed Judgment.

Stacking Order of Documents when submitting Judgment to Court (from top to bottom):

  • FL-150 Income & Expense Declaration for Petitioner and Respodent (If True Defaul, you will not have an FL-150 for Respondent)

  • FL-141 Petitioner's/Respondent's Declaration Regarding Service of Disclosure

  • FL-144 Stipulation and Waiver of Final Declaration of Disclosure

  • FL-165 Request to Enter Default

  • FL-170 Declaration for Default or Uncontested Dissolution of Legal Separation

  • FL-180 (which may include forms: FL-341 Child Custody/Visitation Attachment, FL-342 Child Support and Order Attachment, FL-343 Spousal Support Attachment, FL-345 Property Order Attachment, FL-192 Notice of Rights and Responsibilities (only for minor children)) or you will have a Marital Settlement Agreement

  • FL-190 Notice of Entry of Judgment

If you need assistance with your case, contact Jessica at Diablo Document Preparation. We help our clients get through one of the most difficult times of their lives. We can help with one phase of your case, or from the very beginning to the end.

11 views0 comments